Sunday, November 1, 2009

360 Degrees: Party in the U.S.A.

Party in the U.S.A. is currently the number two song on iTunes, and has been for quite a while now. The play count for this song is currently 129 on my computer. It's on every girl's iPod. It's played at every party. But why is a teeny bopper song like this dominating the radio? What makes this song so special?

People constantly criticize Miley Cyrus for her inappropriate and trashy behavior, myself included. Maybe some people are drawn in by this, wanting to make fun and laugh her. They use her songs as an outlet for frustration and disgust. I am guilty of this too, for one can always find something to laugh at in her music videos or shows. If you just read some of the iTunes comments on Party in the U.S.A., you can find plenty of examples of this.

It is difficult to take anything Hannah Montana or Miley Cyrus seriously. Listen to some of the lyrics:

So I put my hands up
They’re playing my song,
And the butterflies fly away
Noddin’ my head like yeah
Moving my hips like yeah

What does "like yeah" even mean? And how can you rhyme with the same word? If this is what music has become, then that is pretty sad on our part. What does this say about our society?

I am curious about the other perspectives of this song. As I listen to it right now, I realize that it has a catchy beat. It can put you in a good mood, pump you up for a party, or simply make you want to dance. This is why it has become so popular.

This song can be viewed as a sad representation of the youth, a feel good pop tune, just another Miley song, or anything in between. These views relate because they represent different people and different moods. They show how people both blend and clash. I'm not saying that life can be viewed as a Miley Cyrus song, god no. How you view it is your own choice, your own perspective. And that's all that anyone can ever do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Email Me!