Sunday, April 11, 2010

360 Degrees: Our Future

As I am beginning to recieve more and more college letters in the mail, I am also beginning to feel more and more guilty about not preparing for college yet. I have no idea where I want to go or what I plan to do in the future, and sometimes this scares me.

I know people already enrolled in ACT prep classes. My friends are already signed up to take the ACT at the end of the school year. They're counting how many volunteer jobs they can put on their applications. They are doing all of these things while we are only sophomores in high school.

This is sometimes viewed as a positive thing: we are beginning to take control of our own lives as students and learning to make our own decisions to benefit us in the future. We are becoming independent.

Yet our college preparation can also be seen as a looming stressor, sucking up our time, thoughts and energy as teenagers and forcing us to grow up too soon. As sophomores, we still have mistakes to make and lessons to learn before we have the power to plan our own futures.

Despite this, one thing is for sure. We must think and plan our futures, but it is our decision how much this planning controls our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Email Me!