Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Metacognition: Jane Eyre

Reading Jane Eyre was a refreshing change to the previous books we have read this year. Unlike Sophie's World and Heart of Darkness, it wasn't overwhelming. I didn't dread having to read it every night, and the storyline was captivating. I couldn't help but wondering why this book was so different.

I have decided it is because of the overall slower pace of the novel. Not every sentence was jam packed with information, and many pages were devoted simply to the setting and descriptions. The slower pace obviously slowed my thinking, allowing more knowledge, feelings and opinions to be absorbed while reading the text. It was a nice change to not feel so rushed while reading.

I was surprised to find out how engulfed I became in the story. I felt both sympathy and anger towards the characters, which usually doesn't happen to me while reading school books. Being so involved in this story greatly improved my comprehension, and with increased comprehension comes increased overall enjoyment.

To improve my thinking, I wish I had annotated my book with more care. When the time came for small group discussions, I felt as though I had forgotten my initial reactions and thoughts, and it was hard to look back and know what I was thinking.

Overall, reading Jane Eyre was a good experience with many opportunities to relax and fully enjoy and interpret the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Email Me!